This is a regulated blended learning course, delivered through a mix of online and in person learning.
Launching in September 2023 the course will be run on a Wednesday; over 8 full days face to face in Gloucester, one evening face to face in Gloucester and 15 evenings online. Content is based on the BACP Core Competences for Counselling Children & Young People (CYP).
The course requires students to complete 50 supervised placement hours with children and young people. Placements are available within TIC+ if you live in Gloucestershire.
Overall Purpose and Aims of the Training
• To prepare already qualified counsellors to work therapeutically with children and young people
• To adhere to the BACP Humanistic Competences framework for counselling children and young people
To apply you require a counselling qualification at diploma level or above and must be a registered member of an appropriate professional body, e.g. BACP, NCPS.
If you would like to do your placement with TIC+, you will need the following:
i. Two References (one must be from your counselling employer or clinical supervisor)
ii. An enhanced children young people and vulnerable adult DBS check. This can be arranged for a fee of £55 if not already in place.
iii. Attend an interview.
iv. Attend a 2-3 day Induction.
£1,799 including CPCAB registration and certificate.
If you wish to do your placement at TIC+ and you are prepared to do an additional 40 placement hours (making a total of 90 hours) we can provide the course at £900.
Download the course application form here
Email [email protected] for an application pack.
Course Brochure (PDF)
Course Curriculum (PDF)
The course will be delivered on the following dates:
In person (full days):
27 September 2023
4 October 2023
8 November 2023
6 December 2023
31 January 2024
6 March 2024
24 April 2024
1 May 2024
In person (evening):
20 March 2024
11 October 2023
18 October 2023
25 October 2023
15 November 2023
22 November 2024
29 November 2023
10 January 2024
17 January 2024
24 January 2024
5 February 2024
21 February 2024
28 February 2024
13 March 2024
10 April 2024
17 April 2024
• Explore and define the skills and knowledge participants already have
• Contextualise therapeutic work with young people in the UK
• Examine developmental theories and current neuro-science research, particularly research on the ‘teenage brain’
• Equip therapists with the therapeutic skills needed to work with young people
• Educate therapists in regard to the legal position and the specific ethical considerations of working with young people
• Identify approaches to contracting, confidentiality and assessment
• Develop a toolkit of creative and cognitive strategies specifically aimed at this age grou.
• Encourage a proactive humanistic integrative approach towards their work with young people
• Integrate counsellors’ initial therapeutic model with skills of young people counselling
• Examine the need for self-care and identify types of support available.